When looking for an exfoliating routine, I wanted to find something I could use that was all natural and beneficial to my skin as well. I decided to try a more natural sugar for my DIY all natural sugar scrub rather than conventional white or brown sugar, which are refined. Coconut sugar is unrefined and contains anti-oxidants and some minerals making it a good alternative choice. The honey in the recipe is also a humectant, which means its draws in moisture to the skin. Let’s look at some other benefits of honey for your skin.
Benefits of Honey for Skin:
- Hydrates the skin deeply
- Cleanses pores
- Gentle exfoliator
- Lightens scars
- Brightens complexion
- Has anti-bacterial & anti-inflammatory properties which helps with acne
- Contains anti-oxidants which help slow aging
Exfoliation is the process of removing the dead skin cells from your skins surface. Regular exfoliation should include exfoliating 2-3 times a week to avoid any negative side effects from over-exfoliation such as dry, irritated skin. It should be noted that physical exfoliation is not for everyone. People with sensitive skin or ezcema may find it to be irritating to their skin. Always test a small area first to check for irritation. Let’s go over some benefits of regularly exfoliating your skin.
Benefits of Regular Exfoliation:
- Acne prevention
- Evens out skin tone
- Maximizes benefits of your skincare routine
- Stimulates collagen synthesis
- Helps your makeup look flawless
- Gives you a healthy glow
- Helps with ingrown hairs
- Helps with successful spray tanning
Why Make an Your Own?
Many of the exfoliating facial cleansers on the market contains sulfates, parabens, triclosan, and fragrances. All of which are either an endocrine disruptor, carcinogen or possible carcinogen. This means that they either disrupt your hormones, cause cancer or possibly cause cancer. None of that is appealing. So, making your own all natural sugar scrub is a safer alternative. It is also multi-purpose because you can use it on your face and body.
How to Make All Natural Sugar Scrub
- Coconut Sugar (preferably organic)
- Raw Honey
The amounts for this are dependent on the container you plan on using. But, simply mix equal parts coconut sugar and raw honey and mix well. You may need to add extra honey after but you can assess that after mixing them together.
To Use Sugar Scrub:
- Take a small amount and gently rub it in a circular motion to exfoliate your face
- Take a handful and gently rub it in a circular motion to exfoliate your body anywhere from neck to your feet
- Only use 2-3 times a week