There are always toxins hiding in our everyday products. This is why I’ve worked hard to first switch out any products that I use on my skin. Your includes making a DIY All Natural Shaving Soap. Your skin is your biggest organ at an average size of 22 sq. ft. It can absorb so many toxins from these products that we assume are safe to use. So I started researching ways to shave without conventional shaving cream. I found many that used oils and I didn’t want to create a slip and slide in my shower. So, I kept looking and I found out that you can simply use castile soap. I wanted to take it a step further and add essential oils and infuse it with herbs for added benefits. First, let’s go over some common toxins found in conventional shaving cream.
Phthalates are a group of chemicals used in the production of plastics. To increase the spreadability of a product and help to retain the scent more, companies add in phthalates. They are endocrine disruptors and are harmful to the environment as well. They can cause early puberty in girls and low sperm count in men.
These compounds are used as surfactants. They’re used to create the lather in your shaving cream. Some examples are Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. These sulfates are harmful to the environment and aquatic life. They can also cause hormone disruption with prolonged use. It can possibly an allergic reaction to your scalp as well.
This chemical is used in the production of Mustard Gas and considered a Schedule 3 Substance under the Chemical Weapons Convention because of that. It is also a known skin irritant and linked to the growth of tumors.
This is the same chemical they use to make teflon. The non-stick cookware that is quite toxic. It is a carcinogen and endocrine disruptor and is a contributor to early menopause in women.
Fragrance/Parfum & Synthetic Dyes
Most fragrances and dyes in shaving creams are synthetic and made from chemicals. Phthalates, which are known endocrine disruptors, may also be added to enhance the scent as well. Synthetic fragrances can cause asthma attacks, cancer and reproductive issues. Colouring in shaving cream comes from petroleum and coal tar. You can spot synthetic dyes on the label by ‘FD&C’ or ‘D&C’.
DIY All Natural Shaving Soap Recipe
The recipe is simply castile soap with either essential oils or infused with herbs for added benefits. I get my castile soap from here because I can buy it in bulk. If you don’t have the time to infuse the castile soap, just use essential oils instead. The herbs take roughly a week or two to infuse into the castile soap. Here are some herbs/oils you can use for various skin types.
- Dry skin – Lavender, Lemon, Clary Sage, or Jasmine
- Sensitive skin – Jasmine, Lavender, Chamomile, Rose, or Geranium
- Mature skin – Frankincense or Lavender
To Infuse the Castile Soap:
- Fill jar or container about 1/4 full with herbs of choice
- Fill remainder of jar or container with castile soap
- Keep in a dark place for 1-2 weeks, gently shaking jar or container every few days to mix it up
- Once you’ve infused it for the desired amount of time, strain out the herbs and place castile soap back into a jar or container (I use a container with a pump for easy application)
To Use Shaving Soap:
- Apply thoroughly to the skin that you will be shaving (it won’t be as foamy/creamy as conventional shaving cream, but it works just as good)
- Shave as usual
- Rinse and enjoy smooth skin